Super-Moist Carrot-Almond Coffee Cake
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 3 cups grated carrots or parsnips (or a combination), divided
• 1/2 cup expeller-pressed canola oil, divided, plus more for the pan
• 1 3/4 cups almond flour, divided
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 cup light brown sugar, divided
• 1/2 cup light sour cream
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 3 eggs
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil an 8x8-inch pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, make the crumb topping by combining 1 cup carrots, 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon oil; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 1 1/2 cups almond flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a second large bowl, whisk together sour cream, vanilla, eggs, remaining 3/4 cup sugar and remaining oil. Add flour mixture to the large bowl and whisk again until incorporated; fold in remaining 2 cups carrots. Transfer to the prepared pan and scatter crumb topping over the top. Bake until cake springs back in the middle when pressed, and is deep golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes.
Set aside to let cool until warm, then transfer to a plate, discarding parchment paper. Cut into squares or wedges and serve.