KALE, TOASTED ALMOND, AND PARMESAN SALAD
· 100g kale
· 100g broccoli
· 1 shallot, finely chopped
· 40g grated parmesan
· 50g toasted flaked almonds
For the dressing
· 60ml (4 TBSP) extra virgin olive oil
· 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
· 2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon, depending on size)
· 1 tsp maple syrup
1. Remove any large stalks from the kale and thinly slice the leaves. I find the easiest way to do this is to bunch them together in one hand and then chop in a similar way to fresh herbs.
2. Add the broccoli to a food processor and whiz for a few seconds until you have small rice-like chunks. Alternatively, finely chop the broccoli.
3. In a large bowl, toss the kale, broccoli, shallot and parmesan together. If serving immediately, also add the flaked almonds.
4. Whisk together (or shake in a jar) the dressing ingredients and toss with the salad. Add the almonds just before serving.
This salad can be prepared and dressed ahead of time. Just leave out the flaked almonds until serving so they don't lose their crunch.
If you can't find toasted flaked almonds, you can toast your own: spread flaked almonds out on a baking tray and put in the oven at 180c. Keep an eye on them - they should only take 3-4 minutes. Store any extra in an airtight container.