Yield: Serves 2
This beet salad is great chilled or at room temperature. If you normally like your salad with lots of vinaigrette, then feel free to double the lemon zest vinaigrette recipe. The beets can be roasted a day or so ahead of time if it is easier for your schedule.
for the beet salad:
- 1 pound fresh beets
- 2 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/8 cup (2 Tbsp) minced parsley
- 1/8 cup slivered or sliced almonds (you may add or substitute pecans, walnuts, raw sunflower seeds, or pistachio nuts)
Double quantity of Lemon Zest Vinaigrette (you can cut it in half or use some for this and save some for later):
- 2 med cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) balsamic vinegar
- finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt, or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Place the beets in a single layer in a microwave-safe dish. Add a small amount of water to the bowl -- 2 to 4 tablespoons should be enough. Cover the dish and microwave the beets on high until they are easily pierced with a fork. Depending on the size of the beets and the power of your microwave, the beets should be ready in 10 to 15 minutes. Always use beets of a similar size to ensure even cooking.
- If the beets are fully cooked, the skin should slip off easily. Allow the beets to cool for at least five minutes before you attempt to peel them. Peeling them can be messy, so wear an apron to avoid staining your clothes. Slice off the roots and stems before attempting to peel the beets. Hold the beet using a paper towel or rubber gloves, then rub the beet to peel away the skin. If the skin doesn't come loose easily, the beets could probably use a few more minutes in the microwave or you can use a vegetable peeler.
- Cut beets into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Make the Lemon Zest Vinaigrette dressing: In medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients (garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper).
- Toss together chopped beets, vinaigrette, feta, parsley, and almonds until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.