Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servingsActive time: 15 min
Total time: 35 min
Toss aside the mashed potatoes and welcome this appealing alternative, a spirited mix of zucchini, tender sautéed bell pepper, and refreshing scallions.
* 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped (1 cup)* 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
* 6 medium zucchini/squash (1 3/4 pounds), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
* 1/2 cup water
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/3 cup chopped scallion greens
* 2 tsp. vegetable bouillion powder
* 2 TBSP. non-fat plain yogurt
Cook bell pepper in oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a wide 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add zucchini, water, salt, and pepper and vegetable bouillion and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, then cook at a brisk simmer, covered, 6 minutes. Remove lid and simmer until most of liquid is evaporated and zucchini is soft, about 15 minutes.
Pour off remaining liquid, and coarsely mash zucchini in food processor, adding 2 TBSP. yogurt. Add scallion greens and stir, adding 1 more TBSP. butter if desired.