Cream of the Crop is a CSA in NYC, and we have a lot going on. This is our blog to share events, advocacy, recipes and other such tidbits of interest to those of us who love farm fresh and local.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
RECIPE: Chubby Veggie Sandwich
Contributed by Chubby Bunny Member Seth Burroughs
1 bunch radishes, cut in quarters lengthwise
1 bunch scallions or garlic scapes, roughly chopped 1 bunch dandelion greens*, mustard greens, or komatsuma, roughly chopped 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes 1/2 tbsp butter 1 tsp olive oil 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (feta would also work well)
2 slices of crusty bread per sandwich (baguette also works well) Kosher salt Fresh ground black pepper
1. Heat butter and olive oil in a sautee pan over medium heat until butter is melted
2. Add radishes. Let cook 5 minutes until lightly browned, and stir.
3. Add scallions (whites cut thin) and/or garlic scapes and cook for about 3 more minutes until wilted. 4. Add anchovy fillets, garlic clove, and red pepper flakes and sautee for approximately 30 seconds until anchovies dissipate into the oil.
5. Add the greens and sautee until just wilted, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Remove pan from the heat.
6. Meanwhile, add a sprinkling of cheese to the slices of bread and melt in a toaster oven or under the broiler in the oven. 7. Once melted, assemble the sandwich with two slices of bread and the greens/radish mixture inside.
(For an omnivorous version try adding sliced chicken, turkey, or sausage.)
* If using dandelion greens, trim the stems and boil in salted water for 5 minutes before sauteeing which will remove much of the bitter after-taste.