- From Bon Appetit, August 2003
- Serves 4
- 2 cups diced peeled eggplant
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup diced peeled carrots
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced yellow crookneck squash
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1. Toss eggplant and 1 teaspoon salt in medium bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and drain eggplant. Pat dry.
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil in large saucepan. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. Uncover; fluff with fork.
3. Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and vinegar in small bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and carrots; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add zucchini and next 5 ingredients; stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add couscous and vinegar mixture; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in basil and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with pine nuts.