Don't be fooled into thinking that a great-tasting homemade soup needs long, slow cooking to prepare. This satisfying soup is ready in just 15 minutes.
· 2 tsp. olive oil
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 6 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
· 7 cups vegetable broth
· 5 cups chopped escarole
· 1 9-oz. pkg. mushroom tortellini or tortelloni, cooked (I substitute a lb. of tofu that I press for 20 minutes)
· grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add escarole and cook 2 minutes. Add cooked tortellini and heat through. Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan if desired.