Tuesday, August 29, 2017

RECIPE: Ratatouille

Ingredients
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup tomato puree. (I used Muir Glen tomato sauce)
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 onion, thinly sliced then cut in half. It's ok if the pieces come apart. I used a mandolin for all the vegetables, to get thin even slices.
1 small eggplant, sliced. Cut slices in half, if needed. Or you can use a smaller Italian eggplant, if available.
2 small zucchini, sliced thinly
3-4 roma tomatoes, sliced thinly.
2 small yellow squashes, sliced thinly
2 red peppers, sliced thinly. I cut my pepper in half, sliced it thinly, then used 1-4 pieces when layering.
1-2 tsp. thyme- you will sprinkle over the top
1-2 tsp. basil
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Pour tomato sauce in the bottom of a round, oval or square baking dish. I used a round one to create the spiraled effect, but any type of dish would work. My dish measures 10 1/2 inches across
Add the minced garlic and one tablespoon of olive oil into the tomato sauce. Stir to blend and season with salt, pepper, and a small sprinkling of basil (approx. 1/2 tsp.)
Wash all of your vegetables, and dry thoroughly. Trim ends.
Using a mandoline, adjustable-blade slicer, or a very sharp knife cut the onion, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, and peppers approximately 1/16-inch thick.
In your palm or on your cutting board, layer your vegetables in a pattern. This was my pattern, eggplant, tomato, onion, yellow squash, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, eggplant...repeat.
Once I had a sizeable stack, I placed it on its side in my dish. The purple side of the eggplant should be up. I started on the outside of the dish and worked my way in.
Cut a piece of parchment paper to the size of your baking dish and tuck in the paper around the edges. This will help seal in steam.
Bake for 35-45 minutes.
Notes
We sometimes top with mozzarella cheese and call it dinner! You can also use a hard cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano. Spoon over cous cous, rice, or quinoa for a heartier meal.

No comments: