Servings: 4 as entree, 8 as appetizer
Ingredients:2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
3 Tbs. mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbs. finely chopped basil
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lay out the tomato slices on paper towels. Cover with more paper towels and allow tomatoes to drain for approximately 30 minutes (this is crucial not to have a watery tart).
3. Meanwhile, remove the puff pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. Unfold the puff pastry onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, pinching to close any holes in the seams. Using a fork, prick the dough all over to prevent it from puffing up during baking.
5. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over the entire dough. Sprinkle evenly with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer over the cheeses. Season generously with salt & pepper. Sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan on top and garnish with chopped basil.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove the pastry from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into 9 squares & serve immediately.