Great for kids!
Time: 35 min. (including standing time for grated zucchini)
Ingredients for Fritters:
1 1/2 lb. zucchini (about 3 medium), grated1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
1 large egg
1/4 c. all purpose flour
3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh chives
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/3 c. vegetable oil
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce (optional):
3 Tbs. unseasoned rice vinegar1 Tbs. reduced sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Instructions for Fritters:
1. Place grated zucchini in a colander in the sink and toss with 1/2 tsp. of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes.2. Squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible with your hands; consider wrapping zucchini in cheesecloth to wring out any excess liquid.
3. Place zucchini in a large bowl and gently mix in egg, flour, chives, and cornstarch; season with salt & pepper.
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in two batches, drop 1/4 cupfuls of zucchini mixture into the skillet, flattening each one slightly.
5. Cook until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
6. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; season with salt. (Fritters can be made 30 minutes ahead & kept warm in a 200 degree oven.)
Instructions for Soy Dipping Sauce (optional)
1. Mix vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and red pepper flakes in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved.
Serve zucchini fritters with soy dipping sauce or other favorite sauce, dressing or condiment of your choice.