10 plums, sliced
1 cup water
1. Place plums and water in a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until plums are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Place plum mixture in a food processor or blender and process until almost smooth. Measure and return to saucepan. For each 1 cup of plums, add 1-1 1/4 cups of sugar. Tie cinnamon and cloves in a spice bag and add to saucepan.
3. Return plum mixture to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, until mixture is very thick, stirring frequently.
4. Discard spice bag; stir in nutmeg (if using).
5. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes (if canning)
Makes about 3 cups
Submitted by Sarah Marder