(use with roasted or grilled pork, steaks, grilled chicken or duck)
1 lb sweet onions
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/4 c dark corn syrup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 c dry red wine
1. Peel and cut onion lengthwise in thin slices
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet, add sliced onions and cook covered over med-low heat until tender and translucent. Stir frequently
3. Combine remaining ingredients and add to sliced onions. Stir to blend,
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 min until syrupy.
5. Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.
Refrigerate up to 5 days or freeze for later use.