2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups sliced onions
1/3 cup peeled garlic cloves (12-14 cloves)
2 bay leaves
2 ½ tsp salt or to taste
6 turns of freshly ground black pepper
2 qts chicken stock
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 cups diced bread
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup grated parmesan
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil and add onions, cloves of garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Caramelize the onions for at least 7 minutes.
2. Add the stock, minced garlic and basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Increase the heat and whisk in the bread and cream. Whisk until the bread is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
4. In a blender or using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth.
5. Whisk in the parmesan and parsley.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.