• 3 very firm pears• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon powdered galangal, optional
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (if not using galangal, increase this to 1 teaspoon)
• 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 275°F. Halve each pear and use a melon baller to scoop out the core (including the stem).
2. Set a mandoline to the 1/8-inch setting, and slice each pear half into about 10 very thin slices. Occasionally, the 1/8-inch setting will cause the pears to mush or crumble. In this case, the 1/4-inch setting will work, though the crisps will need an extra 15 minutes or so in the oven.
3. Mix sugar and spices in small bowl. Place pear slices on rack set over baking sheet. Alternatively, place slices on silpat-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with spiced sugar. Bake until almost dry, about 1 hour, turning the slices over and the sheets around half way through to ensure even baking. Cool on rack or sheet. Store airtight up to 2 days.