· 2 medium acorn squash, halved down the middle, seeds removed
· 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· Olive oil cooking spray
· 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
· 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
· 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved and sliced
· 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
· 4 cups tightly packed torn kale
· 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
· 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
· 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
· 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
Heat oven to 375°. Cut a thin slice off round side of each squash half to create a stable base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray. Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until golden and tender, 30 minutes. Remove from oven; flip squash and set aside.
Heat broiler. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausage; cook, breaking into coarse pieces, until brown, 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl. To same skillet, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and leek; cook until leek is soft, 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, 30 seconds. Add kale and toss; add broth. Cover and cook until kale is tender, 5 minutes; stir in sausage. Divide kale-sausage filling among squash.
In a bowl, combine walnuts, Parmesan and panko; sprinkle evenly over squash bowls and coat with cooking spray. Broil until panko is golden, 2 minutes.