3.5 oz dark chocolate
3 medium free range eggs
1.25 C brown sugar
12 TBS butter
1.25 C cooked beetroot
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS cocoa powder
1/3 C almond meal
1/3 C plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. To cook the beetroots wash thoroughly and place in a pot full of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook until soft when poked with a knife. Cool, rub off skins, and then blend to make a puree.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line your cake tin-8 inch round or square
3. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler and leave to cool to room temperature. I use the microwave and heat for thirty seconds, give it a stir and another fifteen seconds and stir again.
4. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs and sugar.
5. Slowly add the cooked beet puree, the melted chocolate and vanilla into the egg mixture. Beat until just combined.
6. Sift the cocoa, flour, baking powder. Add this the almond meal and salt to the beet batter. Fold until just combined, do not over mix.
7. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the cake just springs back if you touch it. Leave to cool then ice if desired. We just dust with icing sugar and serve like a brownie, with a dollop of double cream! YUMMMMMM!